Sunday, October 18, 2009

The second day in Delhi started as all my days do in India, with a cup of chai. After that I went on a morning stroll through the streets of Manju Ka Tilla. Through the winding tight corridors I made my way to the Buddhist Temple in town. The big bellied monk was sitting behind a huge drum and clapping these two metal bells together, which simultaneously hit the large drum. He was also chanting in Tibetan. I took my shows off and dropped a few rupees in the dish in front of him. The temple was modest but covered in pictures of Buddha and His Holiness. There where also incense burning and candles being lit by older devout Buddhist. It was quite the experience and I the chanting and sounds are very touching.
I walked back to my hotel and only had to avoid a few beggars. The beggars are everywhere, although a little less so in the Tibetan refugee community. Some of the beggars are just little boys, some are ear cleaners, some are cripples and others are old men with scales in front of them trying to make a rupee or two. The most depressing I saw was a little 5-6 year old girl holding a infant. They are very resilient. I have been torn about giving to the beggars. I saw some of the beggar boys running up to a corner shop and buying chewing tobacco. I also read that in India the beggars don't starve because the harvest is very abundant. The books tell me that many beggars will try to rip you off and you should be very careful. It is still hard to see this much poverty.
After the walk back from the temple I spent a few minutes alone on the balcony of the hotel. Unbeknownst to me behind the Tibetan neighborhood was a large beautiful river flanked by well irrigated fields and small huts where the farmers live. It was a beautiful scene and a health respite from the overwhelming hustle and bustle of the city. It reminds me that I need to get out of Delhi and get into nature where I really belong. It was a truly pitureseque scene and flocks of birds circled to roof tops. Old Tibetan women opened their windows for morning fresh air and laundry lines where filled with freshly cleaned red robes.
Why do the bird flock together?
Are they smart enough for the safety of other,
Or too stupid be alone?
Or is it foolish to question what simply is?

This makes me think very deeply about the flocking of humans to this over-crowded city.
Indians love to flock. Especially to malls filled with American stores. I was in a district with no less than 4 malls each bigger than most malls in the US. But I digress.
Me and Uncle Alan decided that seeing His Holiness in Dharamsala is too good of an opportunity to pass up. We talked to many people about it and found a few contacts for places to stay. Plus is will only cost 500 rupees for the 13 hour bus ride. I am so excited, not only to see His Holiness, but also to get the hell out of Delhi.
If you read this tell me, it gives me more motivation to transfer it from my notebook to the computer. But I can certainly see myself giving up on typing.

1 comment:

  1. DON'T STOP!!!!
    I want to continue reading about your adventure.
    I love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete