Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dinner with the King and Queen of Austria




This is all true.
I was walking back from one of the Internet cafes yesterday and a very friendly Indian man commented on my lock and backpack. He immediately decided our meeting was cosmic and started telling me about his early retirement from international corporate law and his new life of spirituality and philanthropy. He owns a ashram called Vipassana house that specializes in Pranic Healing. A type of physical and spiritual healing that can be done over thousands of miles. When I told him about my hopes of helping people back home, his belief in our cosmic interaction deepened. At first I was skeptical of him but his overwhelming kindness and exuberance intrigued me, at the very least. He was going to meditate tonight at the Kasar Devi Temple. It was a full moon and by coincidence (I guess he doesn't believe in coincidence) his guru master happened to have meditated in the same spot. He was so happy that he called his guru and had me speak to him. He gave me a invitation to move to Vipassana House and learn Pranic Healing from a master, as well as possibly open a restaurant. He says he owns the property and would be happy to let me open up a restaurant or learn from his many well connected chef friends. I know this is ridiculous and sounds way to good to be true. It probably is but I am going along with it anyway as he writes down his contact information.
Soon after, as I mention I am going to Kalmatia Sangam to enquire about my new job, he mentions that he is meeting the King and Queen of Austria for Dinner. He invited me to join them. He gave me his phone number and told me to meet them around 5ish. This was just way too much. My meeting with this guy it absolutely unreal. I stumbled from shock all the way to Kalmatia Sangam Himalaya Resort in the hopes of getting a job. This is a 5 star resort with supposedly some of the best food in the area. They charge nearly 8,000 rupees a night (I have paid no more than 400) and 1,500 for diner (a samosa costs no more than 10 and a full dinner 100). I was happy just to be able to work in the Kitchen but I was gonna play some hard-ball and try to get accommodations. The meeting went well and even though they are not willing to give me accommodations I will get 3 meals a day, use of the showers (big deal for me), and the experience. The manager is very excited for my knowledge of appropriate restaurant cleanliness, and the fact that I have actually tasted proper Western food. He is even going to give me free reign to make menu suggestions and changes. If this works out the are probably going to add me on as a employee.
I walk out of the office and introduce myself to the Chefs then go back to Uncle Alan's to wash the dishes (no sink just a cup and a bucket) plus carry the 80 pound jug of water down the hill. After working like a peasant and sweating like a pig, I climbed back up the hill and meet my new friend Aman. He showed me pictures of Vipassana house and his many adopted children. The more I talk to this guy the more I realize he is a genuine and generous man, who simply wants to make people happy and put love into the world.
Her Highness of Austria calls and we strolled down the street to Mohan's Cafe. I cay hello to Her Highness and did not shake her hand, completely dumb-founded as how to address her. She looked rather inconspicuous with her long warm jacket, bright orange scarf, and beanie OM symbol embroidered. I could see her royalty coming through as she barked orders to the server and made him use a special flour that she just bought. Also her beautiful jewelry gave her away. His Highness Leopold introduced himself with a firm handshake and genuine smile. He was wearing the kind of outfit you would expect a upper-class golfer from New Jersey to wear. I was a little intimidated (to say the least) but after ordering I started delving into my life here in India and my new job at Kalmatia. They seemed genuinely interested and started to tell me innumerable things that the restaurant could improve upon. Her highness, Muhkti, was shocked and disappointed that they are not going to give me accommodations. She said she would talk to the owner, her good friend, and she what she could do about it.
My anxieties continued to ease as the conversation become more relaxed. They treated me like an equal and we swapped stories about life. I told them that I was going to Rajasthan next month and asked if they have ever been. They started to laugh hysterically and informed me that Her Highness is also the princess of Rajasthan. Me face got red. She is a hell of a women. Under her beanie was a shaved head and very fragile bony face. She was very beautiful for a women in her 50's at least. She told me about her 43 day fast, where she drank nothing but rain water and lived on "light". We all complained about how dirty India is, and how the people have no respect for the land, as they litter everywhere. We started to talk about money at one point, and how privileged they are to have it. Aman the Indian told us a great story about his childhood. Many years ago when India was at war with China his elementary school asked for donations to help the soldiers. The next day his father (a man who beat the odds and pulled himself out of a lower caste) gave him a newspaper stuffed with rupees. The young Aman gave it to the teacher who looked up dumb-founded. She shuffled him to the principal who had the same look of astonishment and proceeded to call his father. He was in shock that they gave so much, apparently enough to buy the school. His fathers only response was "I wanted to teach my son when to stand up for your friends, when to stand up for your country, and when to stand up for your family." He then went on to talk about his hard life after his father died and how it cost the family all the money. He had to struggle through school and lived on his own since he was 18. He feels that it taught him how to relate to both the poor and rich.
King Leopold then started to talk about his life as a young boy. He grew up on a countryside just like a normal person until his was 6. Then as the war began he was moved into the castle where he lived like a prisoner. He was only allowed to leave on Sundays for church, where he would sneak out the back door and attempt to have some sort of rebellious freedom. The King and Queen spoke of a life of servants and wealth I can only imagine in fairy-tales. Although they both spoke of feeling stifled and imprisoned. Her highness mentioned her father's plans for her to marry the prince of another state in order to form a alliance. Instead she fled to California with not 1 but 2 servants, and studied child psychology. She has always been a bit of a rebel and spoke about her high stakes life in Las Vegas. She won at blackjack but lost every dime when she had some scam artists swindle her money away in a real estate proposal. She shaved her head and lived without heat. A princess with no hair and no heater, go figure.
I tried to relate with stories of my own but mostly marveled that I was eating dinner with royalty and not coming across as a complete idiot. They paid for the meal against my wishes (but who can argue with royalty) and we walked back to the resort, conveniently located right near my uncles place. We talked about some trouble that Her hHighness was having in regards to a close friend and I gave my advice. I talked about my views of forgiveness and love and she seemed to appreciate my thoughtful response. I thanked them again for dinner and told them I would stick my head out of the kitchen and say Hello. Then it hit me. I will be cooking for Royalty!! This night is just too much I better get to sleep before I realize its a dream.

2 comments:

  1. Dave,
    Wow.
    This is absolutely incredible. Congratulations!!! What town is this going to be in and what's it like?
    His and Her Highness sound very humble. It would have been awesome to talk to them (especially because how Her Highness studied child psych and that's what I did and want to do). If you see/talk to them again, tell them about me.
    I miss you a lot.

    Love you,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. thoroughly enjoyed reading this. filled me with longings of a place outside of my own comfort zone - it's then that you grow.

    see you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete